May it please my lord, I am Suaran Singh, appearing for the Petitioner, Daniel Bong Cheng Hua. I wish to introduce my learned friends:
Ms. Geetha Jora Singh, representing the Attorney General, and
Mr. Babu Raj a/l Raja Gopal, representing the Bar Council, the Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee and the Perak Bar Committee.
The Petitioner, Daniel Bong Cheng Hua, graduated from the University of London’s International Programme via Advance Tertiary College in 2012 with Second Class Upper Honours in Bachelors of Laws.
In the following year, he then passed the Certificate in Legal Practice examinations.
Aside from academic achievements, the Petitioner has shown tremendous passion for the law as well as the art of advocacy since Form 6 when he won the first ever state-level moot competition in Sarawak in 2005. While studying in Advance Tertiary College, he went on to win the Tun Hamid Omar Moot Competition in his first year. The following years saw him participated in various other moot competitions, such as the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, the Red Cross Moot Competition and the LAWASIA Moot Competition. In 2009, he had the privilege to become one of the first Malaysians to win an international moot competition when he emerged as champion in the LAWASIA Moot Competition held in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Expression of Thanks
Nonetheless, the Petitioner recognises that none of these achievements would have been possible but for the sacrifices of his mother, Ms. Ling Siew Lieng, who had worked hard to ensure that fees are paid with whatever little money they had, particularly after his father passed away unexpectedly in 2010.
As such, he would also like to state his gratitude to
- Dr. Danny Choong and Advance Tertiary College for having given him the support he needs to complete his studies;
- His friends, Irene Kam, Kwong Chiew Ee, Rebecca Yuvonne, Navinthar Gunasegran and Jagan Ramachandran for lending him textbooks and support; and
- To all his relatives and friends for helping his mother and brothers to weather the storm, and yet expected nothing in return.
As greatly indebted he is to them, he was told to pay it forward, and he intends to pay it forward with the privilege of the Bar.
He’d like to thank a few more other persons;
- To his brothers, Derek and Deren, for taking good care of his mother when he’s unable to;
- To Charles Chai, for being a good study companion for CLP;
- To Alwin Rajasurya and Michelle Lim, who I believe are the Petitioners called before him, with whom he began, endured and finished his pupilage together;
- To Christopher Leong, and Chooi & Company for having him onboard and the priceless opportunity of pupilage
- To his Master, Tan Yann Lee as well as his supervising partners, Ira Biswas and Janet Chai, who can’t be here today, for the guidance and lessons in legal practice.
- To Aravind Kumarr, Lu Yiing Suey, Hillary Ang and Lekhashini for the good time whenever he needs a time off from work.
- To his girlfriend, Praveena Karunamoorthy, for enduring him when he was doing his CLP and pupilage, as well as for never failing to remind him to take good care of himself and not to stay too late at work, which he never listens.
Last, but not least, the Petitioner would like to thank his father, the late Bong Jee Foong, whose last words to him were to remind him that the hallmark of a great lawyer is not wealth or fame, but integrity and tenacity.
I believe that the Petitioner’s papers are complete and in order and I believe that there are no objections from my learned friends representing the relevant bodies.
I hereby submit that the Petitioner is of excellent character and is indeed a fit and proper person to be admitted and enrolled as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya.
Therefore, my lord, I respectfully pray that this Honourable Court grants an order that the Petitioner, Daniel Bong Cheng Hua, be admitted and enrolled as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya.
[No objections from Ms. Geetha Jora Singh and Mr. Babu Raj a/l Raja Gopal. Judge ordered that the Peititioner be admitted and enrolled as Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya]
Much obliged, my lord.
May I now seek leave from this Honourable Court for the Petitioner’s mother, Ms. Ling Siew Lieng, to robe the Petitioner?
[Petitioner's mother robed the Petitioner, end of proceedings]